WARRENSBURG, Mo, (Dec. 7, 2019) – It was a tale of two halves for the Jennies and the Bearcats Saturday afternoon at the Multi. Both teams came out firing in the first half scoring a combined 73 points, but the Bearcats couldn’t keep up in the second and the Jennies picked up their third straight win, 70-50 to improve to 6-3 and 2-0 in the MIAA.
How it Happened
• Central Missouri shot 50% for the game while the Bearcats hit just 30%.
• Northwest hit seven three-pointers to the Jennies four, but all seven came in the high-octaine first half.
• The Jens held a big advantage on the glass, out-rebounding Northwest 42-26.
• UCM did a nice job of moving the ball around with 16 assists on 28 field goals.
• If you blinked in the first half, you probably missed a basket. Northwest scored the first five points of the game all from Kendey Eaton. She was answered though by five straight from Morgan Fleming. The teams traded baskets in the first with the Bearcats doing damage from three with five three-pointers and the Jennies working inside the paint. Megan Skaggs hit a three for the Jennies at the end of the period and after 10 minutes UCM held a 19-18 lead.
• The Jennies started to pull away in the second quarter thanks to a 9-2 run following a Fleming jumper, pushing their lead to eight, 30-22. Northwest though clawed back with a 13-4 run of their own to reclaim the lead, 35-34. They carried a one-point lead into the half, 37-36.
• In the second half, the Bearcats went cold. Ice cold. They were 0-14 from three and made just three field goals the entire half. The Jennies took the lead on a Nija Collier layup, 38-37, and never trailed again. It took a while for the Jennies to pull away. Leading by three, 44-41, with 2:28 left, UCM closed the frame on a 10-0 run in the final 1:50. After a Bearcat turnover, Gigi McAtee raced down the floor for a layup and the foul with one second left. She knocked in the free throw and UCM led 54-41 heading to the fourth.
• UCM kept up the defensive pressure and never let the lead slip back to single digits in the fourth. UCM held the Bearcats to fewer than 10 points in both the third and fourth quarter and cruised to a 20-point win, 70-50.
It Was Over When…
• The Jennies went on a 9-0 run midway through the fourth to turn a 13-point lead into a 22-point lead with 2:35 left to play.
Jennies Stat Leaders
• Morgan Fleming scored 26 going 10-17 from the floor with five assists.
• Nija Collier had a double-double with 11 points and a game-high 10 rebounds.
• Kim Crown came off the bench to score 13 points going 6-8 from the floor with three rebounds, four assists and two blocks.
• Megan Skaggs chipped in 10 points and seven rebounds.
For the Bearcats
• Kendey Eaton led NWMSU with 16 points.
• Erika Schlosser scored nine going 3-6 from three.
• Jayna Green added five points a team-high six rebounds.
News and Notes
• The Jennies 50% field goal percentage is a season-best.
• UCM’s 42 rebounds are also a season-high, as is the +16 rebounding margin.
• Morgan Fleming’s 26 points are a UCM high nine games in.
• Nija Collier’s double-double is the Jennies first this season.
• Kim Crown has reached double-figures in two of her last four games.
• For the fifth time this season the Jennies have held an opponent below 10 points in a quarter, allowing just four in the third and nine in the fourth. UCM is 3-1 this season when that happens and 45-5 going back to 2016-17.
• The 13 Bearcat second-half points are the fewest UCM has allowed in any half this season.
• Central Missouri have now won nine straight against the Bearcats and move to 71-26 all-time against NWMSU.
• The Jennies are off next week but will return the Multi Tuesday, Dec. 17 to take on Evangel with a 6 p.m. tipoff.